As the kiddo approaches his very first day of school, I'm flooded with memories of my own school experiences. Dad asked me, "Do you remember your first day?" I sure do! Well, as much as my three-year-old brain saw and held, anyway.
I remember my mother's sari: a flowing blend of light blues and greens. Now that I've seen the Caribbean Sea, I can say that it looked like the blue of its shallow water.
I remember standing outside the classroom: a small room, the outside walls painted yellow.
I remember the sounds coming from inside the room: a combined chorus of small children, wailing, sad and confused. If I had the voice that I have now, I probably would have said, "You want me to go in there? Where all those children are obviously being tortured?!"
Mom added another detail. "I remember that you hugged the teacher's legs as soon as you saw her and wouldn't let go." An appropriate response, don't you think? If you can't beat them, join them.
I also remember my first American school experience: being tested to see if I was academically and socially ready to join kids older than my 10-year-old self in the 6th grade (yes, if you're wondering); standing up to answer a question from my teacher, Mr.Wood, and being told, "We don't do that here!"; using the wrong markings while scoring classmates quiz paper (because it's done the other way around in India) and she being completely confused as to how she got so many wrong answers; making friends with a couple of other girls and starting a secret club; shopping for interesting American school supplies, like Trapper Keepers and PeeChee folders (one of which I still have).
I don't know what pictures of his first day the kiddo will keep as memories. I hope they're good - the reassuring faces of his teachers, the smiles of his classmates, the white furry school rabbit that he'll get to feed and pet.
But I what I do know is that no matter what he remembers, every day is going to be filled with stories of exciting new experiences and discoveries. I can't wait to hear them!
I'm weepy-eyed in Starbucks...I promise I'll hold it together for him next week!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Chithi